No room at the MCG is more famous than the Long Room, the heart and soul of the Melbourne Cricket Club.The current Long Room has continued the tradition as a central meeting place for members and guests (with Long Room passes) on major match days, including the popular Long Room carvery.
Click here to view the 2020 AFL season Long Room menu.
It was used for the first time at the 2005 AFL Preliminary Final between St Kilda and Sydney on September 16. The previous Long Room was demolished in October 2003, along with the rest of the Members Pavilion, as part of the MCG redevelopment program.
The area currently known as the Long Room was at one time known as the “Members’ Lounge” with the back section of the room known as the “Members’ Dining Room”. The area was renamed the “Long Room” in 1958 during the secretaryship of Mr Ian Johnson.
The foundation stone from the second pavilion is located in the centre of the current Long Room.
The Long Room contains portraits of a number of past presidents, a vice-president and secretaries of the club.
Also displayed is a collection of cricket bats from cricketers and cricket matches relating to the MCG and other grounds around the world, some dating back 130 years.