After tennis courts were built for MCC members at the MCG in the 1870s, the Tennis Section was formed in 1879, becoming a key player in the development of lawn tennis in Victoria.MCC was the leading club and principal organiser of tennis in the colony and staged the first Australasian Championships (later called the Australian Open) at the Albert Ground in 1905.
The section fields several teams for men and women of all ages and abilities in both the Tennis Victoria winter Pennant competition and the Bayside Regional summer competition.
MCC teams also compete in Tennis Victoria’s summer Premier League and in the Asia Pacific Tennis League.
Past and present MCC players have also represented both the club and Australia in several state, national and international competitions - including the Davis Cup.
After a merger with the Glen Iris Valley Tennis Club in 2016 the section now plays under the name of MCC Glen Iris Valley Tennis Club.
VenuesThe main centre, consisting of 12 en-tout-cas courts, is at the Glen Iris Valley Recreation Club, 270 High Street Rd Mount Waverley.
The secondary base is at the corner of Roy Street and St.Kilda Road, Melbourne where we have two en-tout-cas courts.
ContactSecretary - Jordana Dymond