The Melbourne Cricket Club Library, housed on Level 3 of the Members’ Reserve at the MCG, will reopen today by appointment only.The MCC Library is one of the most comprehensive and interesting collections of sporting books in the world. It is often utilised by researchers, journalists and authors as a source for compiling new articles, books or TV programmes. However, members are encouraged to explore the Library for their own enjoyment and interests.
Initially, opening days and hours will be limited to Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays between 10am and 4pm.
Daily limits apply to ensure COVIDSafe protocols are adhered to, and appointment bookings must be made at least one week in advance to use the MCC Library research facilities on non-event days.
To make a booking, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 03 9657 8876 and your appointment will be confirmed by the Librarian, who will undertake a preliminary reference interview to establish how the MCC Library can assist.
In the first instance, visitors are encouraged to become a registered MCC Library catalogue user in order to browse the catalogue online and have the ability to reserve items prior to an appointment, especially those from storage. Please note some collection material may not be immediately available due to a cleaning process being undertaken as outlined in the MCC’s COVIDSafe plan.
The MCC Library will operate according to the Club’s COVIDSafe plan, including the following protocols:
- Visitors will need to enter the MCG via Gate 2 Membership and where possible are encouraged to use escalators/stairs instead of lifts.
- Visitors will need to use the displayed QR code via the Service Victoria App at Library entrance before entering.
- Visitors will be asked to use the supplied hand sanitiser and adherence to the physical distancing requirements while visiting.
- Visitors will be asked to put any used collection items on designated trolleys in readiness for a cleaning process to be undertaken.
- Visitors are required to wear a fitted face mask at all times when within the MCG.
On event days, the Library will be closed to researchers who solely want to visit to view the collection. Instead, the Library will only open for the use of the media, members and their guests who have entered the Members’ Reserve via an event day ticket, membership ticket or appropriate accreditation.
Founded in 1873, the MCC Library is a major repository for information on sport and sports history, and forms a cornerstone of the Club’s commitment to heritage.
Covering sports played by the MCC and at the MCG, the collection’s strengths are cricket, Australian Football and the Olympic Games, with substantial holdings in a number of other sports.
The primary collecting focus is on historical and biographical works. As a reference library it does not lend collection items.
For more information on the MCC Library, visit here.